The CAMAG Derivatizer is an automated spraying device which sets a new standard of reproducibility in the reagent transfer onto TLC/HPTLC plates by employing a unique "micro droplet" spraying technology (patent pending). The CAMAG Derivatizer ensures homogeneous and reproducible application of the most common reagents. To meet the diverging physicochemical properties of the different reagents, e.g. acidity or viscosity, four different color-coded spray nozzles are employed, and the user can select from six spraying levels.
In addition to the significantly increased homogeneous reagent distribution, the Derivatizer offers other advantages compared to manual spraying:
- Environmentally friendly and safe handling through a closed system
- Intuitive handling and easy cleaning
- Low reagent consumption through efficient operation (4 mL for 20 x 20 cm plates and 2 mL for 20 x 10 cm plates)
- Reproducible and user-independent results
The transparent hood lifts automatically after pushing a button. The plate tray is removed, the plate arranged and the tray reinserted.
By lowering the hood it completely seals in order to prevent aerosols/spraying reagents from leaking to the outside.
The reagent is filled into the appropriate nozzle. The spraying level is selected and the spraying process started.
The nozzle generates an extremely fine reagent mist, which evenly distributes in the chamber and gradually condenses on the TLC plate.
The spraying process is completed. At the push of a button the hood lifts and the TLC plate can be removed for further processing.
Derivatization means another step in the process, consequently causing an increase in the variance. If an experienced technician manually sprays, the relative standard deviation of the measured values significantly rises up to 12.0%. In contrast with the CAMAG Derivatizer, the standard deviation slightly increases between 2.5 and 4.5%. Moreover, these results are user-independent and reproducible!
The following most common reagents have been tested and validated by the CAMAG laboratory for use with the CAMAG Derivatizer:
• Sulfuric acid reagent (10 % in methanol)
• Anisaldehyde reagent
• Natural product reagent
• Polyethylene glycol solution
• Iodine solution (0.5% in ethanol)
• Dragendorff reagent
• Fast blue salt B reagent
• Ehrlich’s reagent
• Phosphomolybdic acid reagent
• Ninhydrin reagent
• Copper (II) sulfate reagent
• Aniline-diphenylamine-phosphoric acid reagent
• Vanillin reagent
• Potassium hydroxide solution (5% in methanol)
• Aqueous solutions (enzymatic solutions, etc.)
CAMAG® Derivatizer 20x20
CAMAG® Derivatizer 20x10
Fields marked with an '*' are mandatory fields.