CAMAG more than 50 years in business
CAMAG was founded in 1958 in Muttenz, Switzerland near Basel to produce ALUMINUM OXIDE for chromatography and to promote its industrial use. Soon CAMAG turned to the emerging technique of thin-layer chromatography and from 1961 onwards TLC was the new focus. First, it was simple analytical equipment and accessories, which were sold worldwide, but beginning in 1975, CAMAG concentrated on the development of instruments and automated solutions for this now well-established analytical technique. Since the ’80s, the advent of software controlled systems permitted the automation of the individual steps of the technique - Planar Chromatography - which was the new term for modern INSTRUMENTAL THIN-LAYER CHROMATOGRAPHY (TLC/HPTLC).
Wherever complex substance mixtures are analyzed (herbals, environmental analysis, forensic), Planar Chromatography is often an excellent alternative to GC and HPLC. Additionally it has proven value as a solid quantitative analysis technique in the quality assurance of food, pharmaceuticals and other industrial products.
In 2011 CAMAG Switzerland has launched a system for the automated extraction of DRIED BLOOD SPOT (DBS) cards that can be coupled directly to LC-MS systems.